Wednesday 1 May 2013

Free promotion for Stephen King fans



My Kindle sales have gradually declined over the past few months, although I seem to have racked up some sales on other platforms through Smashwords since pulling my books out of the overly-restrictive KDP exclusive program.

I hadn't got around to uploading Shining in the Dark - Stephen King: Page to Screen, my non-fiction book on four classic Stephen King books and movies, to Smashwords. I guess in part this was because it doesn't feel like one of my 'proper' books. It was the first thing I experimented with in e-publishing though, and still sells a copy or so a month. I guess you could do worse if you're a college student looking for ideas on a dissertation. That's exactly how Shining in the Dark began life of course - as the final piece of coursework en route to my glorious 2:1 Bachelor of Arts from Stirling University. I'm told the tutors still hold that up as an example of how you can write a passing dissertation about anything.

Anyway, I decided that since I wasn't doing anything else with it, I might as well sign this one back up with KDP Select again and see if running a free promotion might give my other book sales a shot in the arm. Maybe Amazon has sorted its ranking algorithm so that giveaways actually help sales, like they used to. I'm not holding my breath.

The book is a nice quick read at around 100 pages, and looks at the novels Carrie, The Shining, Christine and The Shawshank Redemption, and the respective movie adaptations by De Palma, Kubrick, Carpenter and Darabont. If you're a fan of King or any of those movies, what do you have to lose?

You can get the book free for Kindle all day on Wednesday 1st May from Amazon US and Amazon UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment